Get Ahead: Taking One Or More FAA Knowledge Tests Before Starting ATP
Want to get a head start on your Airline Career Pilot Program? ATP encourages students to complete all of their FAA Airman Knowledge Tests before the program begins. These tests consist entirely of multiple-choice questions drawn from a predefined database, so with the right prep software you can get a good score even before you start one-on-one training with our flight instructors.
Preparing for Knowledge Tests
Students should first complete the guided independent study required before their class date, then prepare and practice for airman knowledge tests using the recommended optional iPad apps.
The Private Pilot, Instrument, and Commercial Pilot knowledge tests each require an endorsement from a certificated flight or ground instructor confirming that you are ready to take the test. ATP’s flight instructors can give the endorsement based on practice tests from your test prep software. Take screenshots of at least three practice tests with scores of 90% or better, then call ATP Training Support at 904-595-7992. Instructors will review your practice test results, then email you an endorsement.
Knowledge Tests Requiring an Endorsement
- Private Pilot Airplane (PAR)
- Instrument Rating Airplane (IRA)
- Commercial Pilot Airplane (CAX)
Complete these three before beginning the Airline Career Pilot Program to get reimbursed for a 1-year subscription to ForeFlight Basic (required during the program) — $80 value!
Knowledge Tests Not Requiring an Endorsement
- Fundamentals of Instructing (FOI)
- Flight Instructor Airplane (FIA)
- Flight Instructor Instrument Airplane (FII)
These will need to be completed before beginning the CFI Academy. The FII question bank is very close to the IRA bank, so many students choose to take the FII immediately following the IRA even if it will be some time before their CFI training. Similarly, the FIA question bank closely resembles the CAX.
Optional Knowledge Tests
- Ground Instructor (Advanced) (AGI)
- Ground Instructor Instrument (IGI)
These tests are not included in the program because they are optional. They are available for those who are interested in becoming a Gold Seal CFI. Students can take both of these written tests at an ATP testing center for $150 per test.
Register in IACRA Before Scheduling
The first step in completing an FAA knowledge test starts with creating an IACRA account and obtaining an FAA Tracking Number (FTN).
- Visit iacra.faa.gov and click the ‘Register’ link in the upper right.
- Check the ‘Applicant’ checkbox and agree to the terms of service to continue.
- Fill in your personal information. If you do not have an airman certificate, leave the ‘Airman Certificate Number’ and ‘Date of Issuance’ fields blank.
- Submit the form by clicking ‘Register’ at the bottom. The system will generate a FTN number. Save this number and bring it with you when you take your knowledge tests.
Scheduling the Test
FAA knowledge testing centers are located across the country, including at most of ATP’s training centers. When you call ATP Training Support to get your endorsement for the test, we will help you locate a nearby testing center and schedule your test. Reminder: test results are valid for twenty-four months, so don't take them too early.
Taking the knowledge tests before your class date removes a possible source of program delays, and allows you to focus on your flight and ground training. As an added incentive, if you complete the Private, Instrument, and Commercial tests prior to your class date, ATP will also reimburse you for a 1-year subscription to ForeFlight Basic (required during the program) — $80 value!