Actions in Response to COVID-19
Jacksonville Beach, FL — March 18, 2020
This update provides details on actions ATP is taking in response to the COVID-19 risk while continuing flight training operations.
ATP is diligently working to ensure a clean and sanitized working environment for all of its personnel and students and we are taking the following actions:
- Providing disinfecting supplies to each training center. Supplies have been located which include a commercial-grade disinfectant.
- Coordinating the addition of disinfecting services to our routine cleaning processes at each of our training centers. These additional services will include the application of a commercial-grade disinfectant to all contact surfaces to include desks, tables, chairs, faucets, toilet handles, doorknobs, light switches, and appliances and will be performed every time the facilities are cleaned.
- Identifying a robust response plan to any positive case of COVID-19 at any of our training centers or in our housing units to ensure that we can deep-disinfect the affected spaces as rapidly and effectively as possible. ATP's vendors will utilize an electrostatic spray application of disinfectants. This technique is an approved disinfectant technique and has been used extensively and effectively to combat the spread of virus borne illness in both schools and hospitals. Electrostatic spray uses a specialized solution that is combined with air and atomized by an electrode inside the sprayer. Subsequently, the spray contains positively charged particles that are able to aggressively adhere to surfaces and objects. Because the particles in the spray are positively charged, they cling to and coat any surface that is targeted. In a few areas where this technique might not be available, we will utilize an approved vendor that follows all CDC recommended disinfection guidelines. This technique is just as effective as the electrostatic spray but is more time-consuming.
- Installing commercial hand sanitizer dispensers for all of our training centers.
- Ordering sanitizing wipes for use in the aircraft cockpits and simulators. The wipes include sanitizer rated as 99.999% effective and will be sent to every training center.
ATP recommends limiting time at the training center to pre- and post-flight briefings and associated individualized ground instruction. Group ground school lessons are temporarily suspended. All curriculum and training materials are provided to students online in their Student Extranet to facilitate distance learning for ground school subjects. Additional live webinar training will be made available in the coming weeks.
Follow the recommendations of the CDC and your local authorities, and use good judgment for your own health and the health of your colleagues.
The long term airline pilot career outlook remains bright. ATP plans to maintain normal operations and support our students’ and instructors’ career success.