What are the criteria for acceptable Birth Certificates?
If a Birth Certificate is to be used in lieu of an Unexpired US Passport as proof of US Citizenship, the Birth Certificate must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Be Original or Certified Copy (Not a Photocopy or Fax)
- Have a Multi-Colored or Raised Seal
- Be Issued by U.S. State or County Government - NOT by a hospital
- Have the words “Vital Statistics”, “Clerk” or “Registrar” in the issuing entity name
- Be accompanied by a valid government-issued photo ID
- Have a name that matches the government Photo ID
- Have a date of birth that matches the government Photo ID
Birth Certificates can be obtained quickly through VitalChek, a private company that expedites obtaining records from local agencies. The cost for this service is approximately $40 for the fastest processing.